169 CEO 956 Leyland Titan PD2/40 Park Royal H33/28R
Chassis No 573471 Body No B33339
One of a batch of 10 vehicles (161-170 CEO 948-957) delivered between July and December 1958, 169 entered service in October of that year. At the time Barrow Corporation must have been the most standardised bus fleet in the country as apart from three Leyland Royal Tigers and the last handful of twenty Crossley DD42s delivered in 1948, the rest of the fleet consisted of 60 Park Royal bodied Titan PD2s.
After withdrawal in 1977 it was in April 1978 that the bus passed into preservation in its home town with the Furness Transport Group, until moving on loan to the then Ribble Vehicle Preservation Group based at Crewe. It remained there for a few years before moving to Hull with the British Bus Preservation Group for storage. Following it's sale to the current owner storage was found in Keighley, slightly nearer to home. 169 then moved back to Barrow in 1996 for the Furness Railway 150 years event and became the founder group vehicle of the Barrow Transport Group. It then ran regularly until around 2005 when a large crack was found in the engine block which meant it had to be stood down awaiting a replacement engine. As the group had expanded and acquired other vehicles the bus spent 10 years in the back of the shed awaiting a replacement Leyland 0.600 engine which once fitted allowed its return to the road in 2016. It can be seen at local events in and around Barrow and is currently wearing an advert for the Barrow Transport Festival.
170-CEO 957 Leyland Titan PD2/40 Park Royal H33/28R
Chassis No 573472 Body No B33340
Last of the batch of 10 vehicles (161-170 CEO 948-957) delivered between July and December 1958 170 entered service in December of that year. At the time Barrow Corporation must have been the most standardised bus fleet in the country as apart from three Leyland Royal Tigers and the last handful of twenty Crossley DD42s delivered in 1948 the rest of the fleet consisted of 60 Park Royal bodied Titan PD2s.
170 was withdrawn in early 1978 and in April of that year sold to the North West Transport Museum , Burtonwood moving subsequently to the Mersey & Calder Bus Preservation Group at Burscough. The bus was purchased from them by the present owner in May 1999 when it then returned to Barrow and joined the collection of the Barrow Transport Group.
Over the last few years a lot of work has been done to the vehicle as the continued assault of road dirt and salt had taken its toll on the lower rear bodywork. Much of this has been replaced and currently preparations are ongoing for its eventual repaint. The interior is stripped out and as well as a new coat of paint it is to receive new flooring and rexine on the side walls. Hopefully it will not be too long before it can be reunited with it's twin.
Leyland PD2/3 Chassis 494532
New to Barrow Corporation Transport in Febuary 1950 with Park Royal H30/26R bodywork (B33080) and Leyland 0600 engine with 4 speed crash gearbox to replace part of the batch of pre war Leylands. A new lease of life came in March 1960 with a new body (G04915), this time from Charles Roe in Yorkshire with the added attraction of electric powered doors. Benefitting from some added warmth 147 was used mainly on the longer distance services and joint Ribble services Barrow to Ulverston either via Dalton or along the Coast Road via Rampside.
By May 1975, 147 had left Barrow and was in the hands of Lister (dealer), Bolton and subsequently found a new life in Scotland. Initially with S. C. Rutherford (Earnside Coaches), Glenfarg by 1/76, it ended it's working life with Messrs Frampton on a fruit farm in Blairgowrie, Scotland from 7/77 . Staying there until 1981 it was rescued by the then Furness Transport Group and moved back to Barrow Hindpool Road depot for storage.
After the Furness Transport group folded 147 moved to Burscough along with 72 and the tow wagon 124. Unfortunately 147 was eventually moved to Westhoughton for storage where we at Barrow Transport Group found and rescued it, albeit in a quite sorry state. 147 was in working condition when it came back from Scotland but 169 had suffered a cracked engine block so the engine from 147 was temporarily borrowed to keep 169 on the road. It suffered a lot of vandalism whilst outdoors at Hindpool Road depot in Barrow and Westhoughton with all the shiny bits being cut off the bus, the handrails, lights , destination blinds and even the door switches all going missing.
In 2005 147 was rescued from the field at Westhoughton and brought back to Barrow, it is now safely in our care but unfortunately needs some major funding for it eventual restoration .
In 1960 No147 was rebodied with a Roe body complete with rear doors for working the joint service to Ulverston.
Seen towards the end of its working life outside the Town Hall
The first Barrow Corporation tow wagon was converted in 1949 from a 1937 Leyland TD4 double deck bus. By the early 1960's however it was showing signs of its age and it was decided to look for a replacement.
In 1963 Bus No 124 EO 9051 was selected from a batch of 1949 Leyland PD2/3 double deck buses that had recently been withdrawn. The body was removed and the chassis shortened. The job of constructing a new tow wagon body was given to the depot apprentices. The cab, a couple of window pans and the rear dome were re-cycled from the scrap bus body, the rear dome being turned around and used above the cab. The Harvey Frost crane was removed from the old tow wagon and was welded onto the chassis of the 'new' vehicle which only ever ran with trade plates, it never carried a registration plate.
The tow wagon was initially painted in an overall blue scheme, but as the corporation fleet was being repainted into a lighter mainly cream livery it soon appeared in its familiar blue and cream colours.
It continued to work until 1983 when it was laid up needing some engine work, the Corporation decided to put the vehicle up for tender and buy a purpose built recovery vehicle.
The vehicle joined the Mersey and Calder Bus preservation group and left the depot, being towed to Burscough to join Barrow bus 170, which had been purchased by a member of said group a few years earlier. Eventually due to space constraints at Burscough the tow wagon had to be parked out in the open and unfortunately suffered from vandalism.
What was left of the tow wagon was purchased by a member of the newly formed Barrow Transport Group in the early 1990's and it is now safely undercover awaiting its turn in the groups list of restoration projects.
As can be seen after several years dumped outside, a lot of work will be needed to restore the tow wagon. It is now stored awaiting funds and time.
Bus No124 as built in 1949 with a Park Royal double deck body.
In 1963 the bus body was removed and 124 was converted to a tow wagon. in this form it only ever carried trade plates .
A rarity in our collection is 72-JEO 772 (BLV 755A) Leyland Leopard L1 chassis no: 623521 bodied by East Lancs B42D body 5945.
New to Barrow Corporation Transport in April 1963 this batch were the first single deck buses in the town to have the then fashionable dual door layout to facilitate one man operation. It transferred to Barrow Borough Transport in April 1974 staying with them for another 9 years before being withdrawn in March 1983, remaining in Barrow until sold to Lonsdale Coaches (dealer), Heysham in June 1983. A brief stay in the sales fleet saw it passing on to Cantril Farm Community Centre, Liverpool in July 1983 then quickly onto Knowsley Community Research Unit , Huyton in November 1983. It didn't stay there long before being sold onto St James Church, Great Sankey, a suburb of Warrington, in January 1984.
It entered into preservation 13th January 1985 for a (then) whooping £450 with the Mersey & Calder Preservation Group where it would remain for 6 years in undercover storage. 72 moved again for continued preservation to our own Phil Craig late in 1991. It is believed while in Phil's ownership he used it for transport to work so it was a visitor once again to the former Corporation depot on Hindpool Road.
After a good few years in preservation 72 was sold back into commercial use to Specialised Transport Training, Liverpool in January 1993 and during it's brief stay there it's registration number was transferred to the then owners car, the bus being re-registered BLV 755A. It only stayed with them for 2 months before passing onto South Lancashire Transport Co Ltd, St Helens in March 1993 and then Blue Bus & Coach Services, Horwich for training use and preservation by May 1993. The owner of Blue Bus, Mr R Jarvis retained the bus for preservation before finally selling it to John Hambler of BTMT in summer of 2007.
As delivered in 1963 from East Lancs bodybuilders. Although this is No 68, it is identical to No 72.
At purchased and returned to Barrow. Although looking complete the framework on No 72 has severe corrosion problems and an extensive rebuild has begun
104 - LEO 734Y a Leyland Atlantean AN68D/1R, chassis no 8201528, with NCME H43/32F body no. 2476, new to Barrow Corporation Transport in February 1983. Transferred to Barrow Borough Transport Ltd October 1986 and staying in Barrow until withdrawn May 1989 in the same month passing to Ribble Motor Services and being worked from Preston depot renumbered 1449. It was withdrawn for disposal by May 1994 going to dealer Lister PSV, Bolton.
A new life began in Yorkshire, passing to two operators. The first being Basichour Ltd (Sheffield Omnibus), Ecclesfield fleet No 1434 by May 1994 then a year or so later passing to Andrews (Sheffield) Ltd, Sheffield in December 1995 keeping the 1434 fleetnumber.
A year later in September 1996 saw it being withdrawn and sold to Lincolnshire Road Car Co Ltd, Lincoln being based at Lincoln then Skegness as no. 1334
It began it's life in preservation with us at the Barrow Transport Museum Trust Ltd, in 2002, following a quick repaint into Barrow blue and cream it made it's presence felt out on the rally scene, being seen at rallies near and far! In 2015 104 was withdrawn from the rally scene due to it's ageing bodywork needing repairs. This work is currently ongoing and is hoped in the next year or two our LEO 104Y will be back - maybe in a different livery, there are so many potential options........
Number 9 - SEO 209M a Leyland National 11351/1R new as DP48F, vehicle No 01348.
New to Barrow Corporation Transport June 1974 as part of some modernisation to replace the elderly Leyland Leopards. Unfortunately for us re seated to B49F in October 1984. Transferred to Barrow Borough Transport Ltd October 1986 and lasting in Barrow until 1988 before passing onto G Ripley a dealer and scrapyard at Carlton. Quickly finding a new home back in the North West with R E Dobson Lostock Gralem in December 1988, it subsequently passed to J C Minicoaches Ltd Widnes a year later in 1989. It then passed onto two other operators within 5 years, first to R & N C Lyles (Ron Lyles & Son) Batley in March 92 then onto R Emmett (Emmfield Coaches), Wyke in August 1992. It was withdrawn by them in January 95 then sold to Barnsley Bus Company in April 1995.
It then joined the Yorkshire Traction Group with Barnsley & District Traction Co Ltd gaining fleet No 128 in October 1998.
After an eventful life it finally entered into preservation with us at the Barrow Transport Group in July 1999 and was seen at events just after purchase before restoration started. Unfortunately the restoration has been very stop and start as other projects came along however we are hoping a push will be forthcoming for the Leyland National's 50th birthday.
23 - CEO 723W a Leyland National MK2 NL116L11/1R B49F Vehicle No 07183, new to Barrow Borough Transport September 1980 part of a small batch of only 4 MK2 Leyland Nationals. It remained with Barrow BT until October 1986 before passing over to Ribble Motor Services Ltd still based at Barrow but now numbered 898. The Ribble operation in Barrow transferred to Cumberland Motor Services in June 1989 which later became Stagecoach North West in 1991. A move to Ribble Motor Services again came in March 1993, this time being housed at their Bolton depot. By March 1995 it was time to move on and 23/898 was sold to Merseyside Transport becoming their 6204.
Merseyside Transport became Arriva Merseyside in March 2001 and the bus was renumbered 8185, joining the driver training fleet. It passed into preservation with us at the Barrow Transport Group in December 2008. While with us slow and steady work has been started and stopped due to other projects being prioritised. However 23 is the most useful vehicle in our shed -being used as an archive store and more importantly the brew room for all our volunteers.
100 - E571 MAC the oddball of our bus fleet, a Talbot Pullman SDB280B5200428850 - Talbot B22F.
100 - E571 MAC the oddball of our bus fleet, a Talbot Pullman SDB280B5200428850 - Talbot B22F. New to Barrow Borough Transport Ltd June 1988 and re-seated to B18F, returned to leasing company May 1989.
Moving on to independent J W Huggins, Wallasey in June 1989 staying with Huggins until 2008, moving with them to their Moreton depot in January 1998. It had a change of identity to VIL 8730 by December 2000 and stayed there until withdrawal in 2005 and then placed into storage.
Its life in preservation with Barrow Transport Museum Trust began in December 2008 while with us major bodywork rebuild completed. It was placed into store in 2018 with engine issues. New engine and gearbox have been sourced and are awaiting fitting, hopefully to see the rally scene again in the next year or two.
572 - G572 PRM Mercedes 709D WDB669032P036419 Alexander AM AM81/2589/85 DP25F
New to Stagecoach Ribble, Preston No 572 in June 1990 with Zippy branding, by January 1992 moved to Lancaster depot and repainted in Uni-Sprint livery for use alongside Lancaster City Transport on University service. August 1993 repainted into Swish Windows Advert by February 1994 moved to Preston with Cable TV & Phone North West advertisement.
Transferred to Stagecoach Cumberland No 572 October 1998, working at Lillyhall depot until 2001 then passing to Barrow depot staying there only 4 months before being withdrawn and sold to Houston Ramm PSV dealer in January 2002.
Passing to Grant Palmer Dunstable in December 2002 staying there with same route and driver for the next 10 years then into Preservation with the 572 Group within the Barrow Transport Museum Trust on the 15th January 2012.
206 - B206 AFV Leyland Tiger TRCTL11/3R 8301366 Duple Caribbean 8472/043 C49FT
New to Robinson's Gt. Harwood March 1985 , 206 made a appearance at British Coach Rally, Blackpool 14th April 1985 Moving south in 1990 to a regular buyer of former Robinson's vehicles, J&D Powell, Lapford, Devon being re-registered with them to PIJ 5170. It remained there until moving into preservation with a private owner in 2008. The next move was back north again joining The Blue Motors of Blackpool, semi-preserved but also back to doing odd jobs for Robinson's, Great Harwood.
206 passed into preservation with Barrow Transport Museum Trust Ltd., Barrow-in-Furness in February 2017. Not strictly a Barrow vehicle but something that fitted in with our collection policy and a welcome addition for our day trips, having ample capability for motorway speeds and comfy seats to the original specification.